This building used to be Efird's Department Store and was built in 1915 and enlarged in 1920. The Starbuck family and their heirs have owned the building since 1904. Interesting fact is that a building that looked very similar to this building (2-story) was erected in 1905 but records show that it burned down in 1912. This building served as the Efird's Department Store from 1918 to 1939 and then was the home of J.C. Penny until at least 1945.
Calvin Peters, owner of Apple Pawn, has moved his business, Apple Pawn from their space in the historic building to a space next door 113 W. Fourth Street. Apple Pawn's phone number is 723-0031.